Happy New Year! With 2009 behind us 2010 is looking pretty great if you ask me.
K. and I just returned from a week of sun, sea and sand in Belize. After a pretty grueling December a bit of a respite was needed. Now we’re back and I am trying to get my bearings in a very cold DC! I still have some knitting recaps to share — I finished the Christmas knitting on Christmas Eve and pretty much cleared out the works-in-progress pile (except for a couple projects that will continue to drag on). But those will have to wait a few days longer.
In life, as in knitting, my slate is more or less cleared. Looking back on 2009, I see a year of preparation, hard work, belt-tightening (alas, only figuratively, not physically!), and shifting into new roles. It was by no means a bad year for me, as much as it was a challenging year — I settled more fully into my job and my life with K. I strengthened some friendships as other relationships drifted a bit, as will happen. I became a bit more of a DC denizen, having achieved the mark of living here longer than anywhere else since high school.
I’ve got a good feeling about 2010. Here are a few things I’m looking forward to, and some that I aspire to in this new year:
- April 24! Wedding planning is about to hit full swing. K. and I are so excited about the wedding, but even more so the next step in our relationship.
- More travel…there’s Aruba, where the wedding will be, and the 2010/2011 New Year’s trip is already in the works. Plus visiting friends and family all over the US. Who knows where the year will take us?
- My job — 2009 was definitely a challenge! But the year ended on a high (if very busy and a bit stressed) note. I know 2010 has challenges galore in store and I am looking forward to meeting them head on and becoming better at what I do.
- I am going to be stronger in 2010. I’ve been halfheartedly working out, hoping to lose a few pounds here and tone up some muscles there. Not much progress for not much effort! I’m using the pressure of a wedding dress to motivate me, and if that’s what it takes, so be it. So, in 2010 (before April) I will run a 5K. I’m not making any “I’m going to lose x pounds” promises because that just doesn’t work for me. But a 5K, while chump change to some is a bit of an Everest for me.
Some knitting goals…
- Two words: Fair Isle.
- A sweater for K.
- More sweaters for me!
- Wedding knitting.
Other crafty goals…
- Cook and bake more. Let’s face it. K & I eat out most of the time. That’s not going to change this year, barring anything unforeseen. But when we eat in, I’m looking forward to making some yummy food! And I love to bake, so watch out for cookies and cakes, and maybe a pie or two. I got an awesome cake cookbook for Christmas, so I can’t wait to break it in!
- Try the sewing machine again. It looks like fits and starts for me in the sewing department. I’m OK with that, but would like to get a bit more acquainted with my machine and learn some new skills there.
- Learn to spin. I’ve been talking about it for a couple of years now, so this year I am going to take a stab at a new fiber skill.
There you have it folks. May 2010 be a blessed year for you, and may you reach all the goals to which you aspire!