Well, it’s Monday. Another busy weekend, beautiful weather, sailing, knitting, some relaxing…but I have no extra energy for synthesizing it here right now. So, I will cut a few corners. You get a meme and I get my ABC-along “M” out of the way. I’m behind on K and L…maybe I’ll catch up one of these days!
1) What was I doing 10 years ago?
10 Years ago I was 19, halfway through college, working as the office manager of a restaurant. Sounds pretty innocuous, except that the owner was embezzling funds from the restaurant (it was a family business) for what I suspect was a pretty serious drug habit. I was supposed to make sense of the accounts, which had not been kept in any kind of way for a long time. Accounts were so overdue that the suppliers wouldn’t accept credit any longer and I had to pay them cash out of the till. This wasn’t really a lot of fun. I got lots of great experience in how not to run a business…fortunately, when I quit the job later that summer and he was seriously displeased, all the nice lawyers in the building where the restaurant was located volunteered to sue the pants off the guy if he didn’t give me my due. Yay lawyers!
2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today?
(non-work, since the work to-do list is monstrous)
1. Hit the gym
2. Have lunch with my friend Fiona
3. Work on editing a chapter of my mom’s dissertation
4. Either finish a sock or the baby kimono, or work on weaving in ends of Baby Bo’s sweater
5. Get a load of laundry done
3) Snacks I enjoy:
Chocolate, cherries, home-made cookies, apples, brownies, nuts (peanuts & cashews), cheez-its.
4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
1. Quit my current job (not that I don’t like it…)
2. Pay off my debt and that of several others
3. Invest in real estate
4. Travel (more)
5. Donate a lot of money to charities
6. Own a cafe/art gallery/yarn store (with a few of my girlfriends!)
Midland Park, NJ
St. Andrews, Scotland
6) Jobs I have had:
Mall Kiosk employee
Restaurant hostess (with the mostest!)
Cookie store employee
Office manager (see above)
Call center technician
Grad student (what? it’s a job!)
Law firm administration